Thursday, February 6, 2014

Chipotle Chicken Chili {Recipe}

I've been so anxious to try a recipe from Pioneer Woman's newest cookbook and the Superbowl gave me the perfect excuse. I checked out her Food and Football section and picked the Chipotle Chicken Chili recipe. It turned out amazingly delicious and I will definitely be making this chili again.
Ingredients:
-2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
-1 large onion
-4 garlic cloves (minced)
-2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
-1 12 oz. bottle Mexican beer (I chose Dos Equis)
-1 14oz. can diced tomatoes
-3 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced
-1 14oz. can black beans (drained and rinsed)
-1 14oz. can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
-1 14oz. can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
-1 Tablespoon chili powder
-1 Tablespoon ground cumin
-2 teaspoons salt
-1/4 heaping cup masa harina (corn flour) I found this in the Mexican aisle at our Kroger
-Juice of 1 lime
-Sour cream for topping
-Grated sharp Cheddar cheese for topping
-Chopped cilantro for topping

Steps:
-Heat the Olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat then add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Stir them and cook for 2-3 minutes until they are soft
-Add the bite sized chicken pieces into the pot
-Stir the chicken around and cook until lightly browned
-Pour in all but 1/4 cup of the beer
-Add the diced tomatoes
-Add the minced chipotle peppers
-Add all the beans
-Stir to combine then add the chili powder, cumin and salt
 -Bring the chili to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 45-60 minutes until sauce is thick
-After the allotted time, combine the masa harina with the remaining beer.
 -Whisk it with a fork until it's smooth then pour it into the chili
-Squeeze in the lime juice then stir it around and let it simmer for another 10 minutes
-Serve with sour cream, cheese and cilantro
 Thank you PW for yet another amazing recipe!

8 comments:

Erin LFF said...

YUM, yum yum! I am obsessed with making chili, any variation possible! I will definitely pin this one to make soon :) And I think I need to get PW cookbook, too!

Rach said...

Mmm... this looks delicious!

Brittany Fry @ The 26th of August said...

this sounds and looks so delicious!! Totally adding it to my meal plan for next week!!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Carrie said...

Oooooh! I want to try this... I have her new recipe book and I have only had time to try out 2 recipes so far. This looks so good, esp since it has been SO COLD!

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! I may have to try it this weekend. I got the cookbook for Christmas but hadn't seen this recipe yet.

Natalie said...

Perfect snowed-in meal!

Rachel Elizabeth said...

I am not a big fan of beans but this looks too good to not try. You had me at beer.

Jenna Griffin | Gold & Bloom said...

YUM! I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I will this week. Thanks for sharing!